Re: GSoC: Libreoffice Theme WIN (not getting stdout, cannot do printfdebugging)

On 01.07.2024 23:42, Sahil Gautam wrote:
Hi, I successfully built libreoffice on windows using LODE. The problem is that I cannot see stdout on the terminal, or in vscode's terminal. I rely on that for checking if opening this dialog trips this breakpoint or not, and how many times does it do so. using a debugger seems a good choice, but it's a hassle considering that UI can trigger a function changing colors n times, and I don't want to press F5 n times, it's not feasible. Is there any way to get the stdout on the terminal?

Since you develop on Windows, a natural choice would be using Visual Studio for debugging. And it allows setting a special kind of breakpoints, which outputs a string (maybe with different variables values), and continued execution. This is in a sense superior to printf, because it doesn't need a modification and compilation, but you can do it at the runtime, changing the output dynamically, enabling and disabling the breakpoints. The downside is its lower performance; so e.g. putting such a breakpoint to e.g. OUString constructor would make your debugging session crawl and last for days :-)

In a reply to another mail, I mention that there is a proper console mode on Windows since version 6.3. However, Cygwin's mintty has never beed affected by the problem, so if you run from mintty, it should output properly, even if you run soffice.exe. In Windows' cmd.exe, calling soffice without an extension runs soffice.com automatically, and also should give the proper console output. But of course, this is all general considerations, and to advise something concrete, specifics of your problem are required.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski