Re: Crosscompiling LO

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 02:08:11PM +0100, drei97 <y27p6e3vuNQx@xxxxxx> wrote:
> is it planned to bring this on the agenda again? The mingw support was
> dropped quite 7 years ago, maybe there is some progress.
>
> On the other hand, it will come with huge amount of work, I know!

One constructive approach here is to look at the mailing list archies
what was the reason to drop mingw in the past, look at what changed on
the mingw side since then and re-evaluate if the cost/benefit ratio
changed since then.

I think the input for the past decision was something like:

- existing binary extensions on 32bit Windows have to keep working, but
  mingw perhaps had some different ABI

- debugging the resulting installation set has to be done using the VS
  debugger, but the mingw-generated binary didn't produce matching
  debuginfo

- producing MSI files is done with executables which call into the Win32
  API, so doing the same on Linux is far from easy

- building on windows used to be quite tricky, but it's much easier
  since we have LODE

If you think some of these inputs changed since then, that might signal
it's useful to re-discuss this. This mailing list thread is probably a
good starting point to do so.

[ As a first thought, I don't think these inputs changed much, but I
didn't really research this recently in detail. ]

Regards,

Miklos