Re: ADSL channel boding or Load balancing

On 10/11/07 13:12, the sew wrote:
Thanks for all the info, I like your SDSL option with the ospf, exactly what I would like

*nod*  I like it too.  :)

Our situation is quite simple, Our ISP is telkom, one main Provider for our Country, they will not touch anything other than the standard services they provide. No SDSL, only ADSL. with standard pppoe. I guess i'm bit stuck there. I could do it to our co-location like u suggest, but that will add more costs to line rental where lines here is quite pricey. That would be a last resort for me

You can do the tunneling like I was referring to across any thing that will carry IP, it does not have to be SDSL or any other form of connection in particular.

What do you mean by "... that will add more costs to line rental ..."? Are you trying to say that you pay for bandwidth, so you would be doubling what passes through your co-located box?

I've seen the bonding in action,but havent seen the configs as they kept it quite secret as its a "new" thing. Looks like I'm gonna have to try this route on my own. I could not find much info on this. I will give it a try with 2 x USB modems and tell pppd to use multilinking and see if I can attach the device as one, I'm sure downloads will be speed to a single dsl only, but upload should be double. I think I might get a bit stuck as they might do the bonding to a co-location like you said and just resell it, will give it a #!/bin/bash anyway

I don't think you need to worry about using a USB modem persay, if the provider is using standard RFC 1483 (2684) (Multiprotocol Encapsulation over ATM Adaptation Layer 5) encapsulation to carry the ethernet frames back to the router. You could easily use an external ADSL ATM to Ethernet bridging modem with out a problem. Now if the provider is wanting to do something more special such that there are two different ATM connections with the ATM stack on the Linux system using the USB ADSL ATM modems, then yes you would need to use the USB modems. However I think it would be much more complex to try to multiplex across two different ATM connections with out an intermediary IP layer.

With regards to PPP Multi-Linking, things have been standardized for a long time. Well as standardized as things can be when there is little call for it. Basically what is done is two separate PPP connections are made between the PPP daemons on each end where the PPP daemon knows that some traffic for a given logical interface will pass down both connections. The PPP daemon splits the traffic that it sends and combines the traffic that it receives. In short this is much like striping data (RAID 0) across two drives except that it is used for networking. I think you will need to find out some more information to know what direction to go to get this to work. Ideally if your provider does support PPP Multi-Linking there is no reason (that I know of) why you could not use this across PPPoE. If more providers supported this, this would be a very good thing. Heck I think you can even get the PPP daemon to realize that one of the links is down and to fall back to the single link, thus you have some redundancy.

Thanks again for your info

You are welcome.

Grant. . . .