Re: Re: tc n00b

Hi Nikolay,

How might this be implemented? I have used a shell script that loops around with a new IP address each time, and then my police line looks like this:

tc filter add dev $LAN parent 1: protocol ip prio 50 u32 match ip src 137.222.$j.$i police rate ${UPLINK}kbit burst 10k drop flowid :1

However my clients still have unlimited uplink. The other day, someone told me that then the tc box is also NATing, the source IP is rewritten before the police filter is applied - meaning that you cannot match on source IP. How did you overcome this problem?

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan

Nikolay Kichukov wrote:
Hello Jonathan,
Indeed. I have tested with limited number of IPs though. Not sure how
that scheme will behave if you apply it to a huge network.

Cheers,
-Nikolay

Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for your help - this looks useful. Is it possible to apply a
police filter invidiually to each IP behind the NAT?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Nikolay Kichukov wrote:
Hello,
You need to recompile your kernel and include the appropriate modules
for htb to work.

The other idea I have is to use policer to filter how much traffic PCs
in the LAN upload. This is done on the LAN interface. Eliminates the
need to mark packets, etc.

You just drop all the packets that are coming in too fast. And
presumably your LAN can do at least 100mbps, so the delay of packet
retransmission can be neglected.

HTH,
-Nikolay