Re: load balancing: per route or per interface?

Dnia środa, 15 marca 2006 16:42, Eduardo Fernández napisał:
> Hi!
>
> I'm doing load balancing for 5 dsl lines, each one with a dsl router
> attached to a linux machine ethernet plug. The problem is that I'm
> adding 15 more dsl lines, and I don't have enough PCI slots in the
> linux machine to sum up 20 ethernet plugs (I already have 2 quad
> ethernet cards).
>
> So I'm considering connecting all dsl routers and the linux machine to
> a switch and doing load balancing per route, instead of per interface.
> What are the problems? AFAIK I won't be able to do traffic shaping,
> anything else?

Get a switch thats supports VLANs ( eg cisco 2950 ), make a vlan trunk to pc
with 2 ethernet PCIs ( 1 to net , 1 to lan ). Connect each ADSL modem to
switch, put each modem on some individual VLAN. Now configure VLANs on
network interface on that PC connected to that switch ( i guess it will be
eth0 ) - you will get as many as you wish virtual interfaces ( like eth0.1,
eth0.2 and so on ), you can traffic shape on them, use iptables like on any
other interface...

--
Jakub Wartak
-vnull