Re: load balancing: per route or per interface?

On 3/16/06, Jakub Wartak <vnulllists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dnia środa, 15 marca 2006 16:42, Eduardo Fernández napisał:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm doing load balancing for 5 dsl lines, each one with a dsl router
> > attached to a linux machine ethernet plug. The problem is that I'm
> > adding 15 more dsl lines, and I don't have enough PCI slots in the
> > linux machine to sum up 20 ethernet plugs (I already have 2 quad
> > ethernet cards).
> >
> > So I'm considering connecting all dsl routers and the linux machine to
> > a switch and doing load balancing per route, instead of per interface.
> > What are the problems? AFAIK I won't be able to do traffic shaping,
> > anything else?
> >

> Get a switch thats supports VLANs ( eg cisco 2950 ), make a vlan trunk to pc
> with 2 ethernet PCIs ( 1 to net , 1 to lan ). Connect each ADSL modem to
> switch, put each modem on some individual VLAN. Now configure VLANs on
> network interface on that PC connected to that switch ( i guess it will be
> eth0 ) - you will get as many as you wish virtual interfaces ( like eth0.1,
> eth0.2 and so on ), you can traffic shape on them, use iptables like on any
> other interface...
>
> --
> Jakub Wartak
> -vnull
> FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Linux/Solaris/Network Administrator
> http://vnull.pcnet.com.pl/

Hi,

Then, will I be able to do load balancing like this?

ip route add default table 221 proto static \
            nexthop via ${EXTGW1} dev eth0:0 weight 2\
            nexthop via ${EXTGW2} dev eth0:1 weight 2\
            nexthop via ${EXTGW3} dev eth0:2 weight 2\
            nexthop via ${EXTGW4} dev eth0:3 weight 2

Also, iptraf will only show traffic for eth0, not the virtual
interfaces, any workarounds?

Thanks!

Edu