Re: HTB and bittorrent, won't work

First of all thank you for answering to my email, I will answer to all the
questions you ask:
> On Wednesday 06 July 2005 23:23, Edgar wrote:
> > I've been trying to shape the bittorrent traffic (on my external
> > interface, upload), but without luck, for this I'm using layer7 filter
> > right now, but I've also tried ipp2p, with the same results
>
> I don't have any problems with BT shaping... if you want to have a look at
> my script, it's this one: http://www.metamorpher.de/fairnat/
> It uses IPP2P, but should work about the same way with layer7.
>
> The main difference between my iptables rules and yours seems to be that
> you are not using CONNMARK to mark BT connections permamently - IIRC you
> can't do without because the filters only match one of the first few
> packets of a connection.

In the layer7 filter the examples don't use CONNMARK like with ipp2p, but I
will try to add CONNMARK to my rules, and see what happens.

> Have you checked your class statistics with tc, somehow I doubt that all BT
> packets go into your P2P class in your current setup.

I've checked this with tc -s class show dev eth1, and I see almost all the
traffic going to the p2p class, right now I will add a new ACK rule, to match
ack packets, since someone told me that might be the problem.

> > I hope someone can help me out with this, maybe it not ok to use tcng
> > with iptables? thank you in advance
>
> Well, I'm not familiar with tcng syntax at all. I think this kind of setup
> is weird; in the tcng part no class ids seem to be specified, yet you have
> to use them in iptables to classify your packets. How can you be sure that
> you got the right class...
When the tcng code gets compiled, it returns tc commands, and then I can see
them, and I know those are the classes I need for iptables =)
Thanks for your interest, I'll check your rules right now, to see if that
helps.