Re: HTB and bittorrent, won't work

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 23:23, Edgar wrote:
> I've been trying to shape the bittorrent traffic (on my external
> interface, upload), but without luck, for this I'm using layer7 filter
> right now, but I've also tried ipp2p, with the same results

I don't have any problems with BT shaping... if you want to have a look at
my script, it's this one: http://www.metamorpher.de/fairnat/
It uses IPP2P, but should work about the same way with layer7.

The main difference between my iptables rules and yours seems to be that
you are not using CONNMARK to mark BT connections permamently - IIRC you
can't do without because the filters only match one of the first few
packets of a connection.

Have you checked your class statistics with tc, somehow I doubt that all BT
packets go into your P2P class in your current setup.

> I hope someone can help me out with this, maybe it not ok to use tcng
> with iptables? thank you in advance

Well, I'm not familiar with tcng syntax at all. I think this kind of setup
is weird; in the tcng part no class ids seem to be specified, yet you have
to use them in iptables to classify your packets. How can you be sure that
you got the right class...

HTH
Andreas