Re: Please: "judge" this script

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andreas Klauer" <Andreas.Klauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:38 PM
Subject: Re:  Please: "judge" this script

class altogether have a guaranteed rate of 810kbit, whereas the parent
only has 768kbit.

Oh Yes... thanks for your "judgment" so detailed... that went an error, when
increasing one of the values I forgot to reduce it to the other class.
After this correction the rate raised vertiginously.  Of 4kbit of download
in
emule, now is 30 to 35 kb!  In addition the load of www pages and pop3
works much more fast.

Another problem could probably be that you are using a lot of SFQ qdiscs.
If every single one of them can queue 128 packets, it might be too much.
I reduced the SFQ queue length to 16 on my system for that reason.
I also had a lot of weird thing happening due to the prio parameter of
HTB.
I think it's best not to use it in the beginning and only start
experimenting with that parameter when you really need it.

You think that it would be necessary to make these changes now?

Are you shaping upload traffic at all? You don't really have much
influence
on download traffic (all HTB can do is drop packets). A shaping setup
without upload shaping makes hardly any sense.

In this case what would have to add I to script?  I imagine that I would
have to
apply all the same rules, equal these, but with the CEIL value upload (256
kbit)
and pointing at the NIC eth0 (to ISP)...  This is well?
And the rules of iptables would be equal?  That is: - t mangle PREROUTING
pointing to the ports of destination (dport instead of sport)?

Also, in your setup you limit eth1 to 768kbit in total. That's fine as
long
as there is no LAN traffic on that machine. However, that's hardly ever
the case - as soon as you SSH on your machine, or use some kind of proxy
(DNS caching, squid, ...), this LAN traffic will have to use the same
classes as your internet download traffic, thus interfering with download
speeds.

Is a router Debian (kernel to 2,4,25) that only does NAT and firewall with
iptables
(its "runs" in a 486 DX4100 with 96MB RAM and two HD of 1GB each one... ;-).
Not squid, not samba, not bind...  Nothing except router of Inet and NAT.
What would have to do?
Best regards
Ricardo