Re: Please: "judge" this script

On Wednesday 06 July 2005 16:05, Ricardo Chamorro wrote:
> CEIL=768
[...]
> tc class add dev eth1 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate ${CEIL}kbit ceil
> ${CEIL}kbit

I don't know if it's the cause of your problems, but the children of this
class altogether have a guaranteed rate of 810kbit, whereas the parent
only has 768kbit. It's hard to tell what HTB does in this case, so you
should make sure that the children's rates add up to the parent's rate.

Another problem could probably be that you are using a lot of SFQ qdiscs.
If every single one of them can queue 128 packets, it might be too much.
I reduced the SFQ queue length to 16 on my system for that reason.

I also had a lot of weird thing happening due to the prio parameter of HTB.
I think it's best not to use it in the beginning and only start
experimenting with that parameter when you really need it.

Are you shaping upload traffic at all? You don't really have much influence
on download traffic (all HTB can do is drop packets). A shaping setup
without upload shaping makes hardly any sense.

Also, in your setup you limit eth1 to 768kbit in total. That's fine as long
as there is no LAN traffic on that machine. However, that's hardly ever
the case - as soon as you SSH on your machine, or use some kind of proxy
(DNS caching, squid, ...), this LAN traffic will have to use the same
classes as your internet download traffic, thus interfering with download
speeds.

HTH
Andreas