Re: four tc filter and netem questions

Alexey Toptygin wrote:

What is going on? Why are 2 entries created at first,

That's normal output of tc filter ls - you may see more than 2 with u32 rules.

then, if I delete
the one without a handle they both dissapear but I can't recreate the one with the handle?

Doesn't happen for me with 2.6.12-rc1 and latest iproute

Why is it if I delete the one with the handle, it
is the only one deleted, and can be re-added and re-deleted just fine? What are filter handles actually used for?

They are not usually used, the "handle 1 fw" goes together to allow you to match marks, it's not so you can del specific filters - you would be better deleting the root qdisc and starting again if you need to change filters.

Should I just omit the handle
to make everything better?

Second, tc doesn't seem to want me to create filters without a filter type, so how should I create a filter that will always match? i.e. I want a prio 1 filter based on u32, then a prio 2 filter based on fw, then a prio 3 filter that will match everything that the prio 1 and 2 filters didn't get?

... u32 match u32 0 0 ...

Thirdly, I haven't seen this actually written down anywhere, so I'd like to double check: the fw filter matches any packet with non-zero fwmark value, yes?

Well you can't match 0 to mean unmarked like you can with iptables (you can also classify directly now with iptables -j CLASSIFY).

For >0 the fw matches the mark you specify not any marked packet.

Andy.