Re: Too stupid to figure out shaping

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 13:42, Andreas Klauer wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 April 2005 17:35, John Gorkos wrote:
> > Anyway, I'd dearly appreciate some help on this.  Surely this is a nut
> > that someone has already cracked, but for the life of me all I can find
> > on the internet are how-to shape your own outbound traffic to your ISP
>
> I may be really close to this one. Although I'm not an ISP and don't have
> customers per se, I do have flatmates and a router, and I'm pretty much
> using the one class per user approach you're describing.
>
> Although I know of someone who is using a modified version of this script
> in a wireless network, it's developed with 'home router' (especially my
> own router) and 'fair sharing' in mind. So it has many downsides for you;
> it kicks out your firewall, works only with static IPs, and capping users
> to 256/368/512kbit will only affect ceil rate.
>
> On the bright side, as long as you have one device for internet, one device
> for customers, and your customers have static IPs on this device, it might
> work out of the box for you, and even if it doesn't, it comes with some
> documentation and structure that is supposed to make it easy to
> understand, extract ideas and modify. And from what I read in the feedback
> I get, most people use it this way. ;-)
>
> You can find my script here: http://www.metamorpher.de/fairnat
>
> HTH
> Andreas

This is remarkably close to what I'm looking for.  The grin on my face should
be visible from Germany.  I have a question about the following section from
the config file:
# --- Clients: ---

# Specify the clients for which we do Masquerading and Shaping.
# The script assumes that all clients have static IPs in the
# same subnet as your LAN device.
#
# Example: If the IP of DEV_LAN is 192.168.100.42, the line above
#          means that 192.168.100.2, 192.168.100.5, etc., are
#          the IPs of your clients.
#          6:23:25 is a group of 3 IPs that all belong to the same user.
#          Use this notation if a single person has more than one machine
#          /IP connected to the router.
#
# New: You can also specify a custom ceil rate per user.
#      Syntax:  <user>@<down_ceil>[|<up_ceil>]
#      However, ceil has to be bigger than the guaranteed rate,
#      otherwise you will get weird results.
USERS="2 5 6:23:25 183@1mbit|100kbit"

How do I include multiple lines of USERS= here.  For example, users with IP
addresss 11,12,13,14,15 are all 256kb/s users, 16,17,18,19 are 384kb/s users,
and 20-30 are back to 256kb/s users.  Is this acceptable:
USERS="\
11 12 13 14 15 183@256kbit/256kbit\
16 17 18 19 184@384kbit/384kbit\
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 185@256kbit/256kbit"
?
Also, what does the 183 (184,185 in my example) signify?

Thanks tons!
John Gorkos