Re: urgent question about tcng!

Thomas Mandl wrote:
Hello List,
I'm new to QoS/tcng/HTB and friends, so please forgive me if my question
might be silly...
After having read lots of HowTo documents I'm totally confused...

The Challenge:
==============
I'll have to deploy several "mirror" download servers (Linux) which must be
able to handle a huge number of HTTP download requests (about 10k to 20k
unicast requests per server within 120 min.) which will hit my servers . The
mirror servers will be connected with 100MBit to the Internet backbone. Each
"client" will download between 7MB up to 30MB per request. The download
mirror servers will be directly attached to the Internet (no FW or router
between, which could handle QoS for me). Of course will these download
mirrors be specially hardened :-)

The Idea:
=========
I can not handle all the traffic at once without QoS, so I thought it should
be possible to establish a traffic control mechanism to guarantee bandwith
for each client download (e.g. 256kbps CIR up to 512kbps ceil). This should
allow me, to "serve" all clients within 120 min, before a new download wave
will hit my servers. If the available bandwith for HTTP traffic is used,
clients shall not be able to start a download, until some bandwith is freed
by another client who finished a download.

Note: I would rather go with "tcng" than with the old "tc".

The Problem:
============
While playing with tcng and HTB I managed to shape traffic (to limit the
total bandwith for HTTP traffic to e.g. 50Mbps) but I did not manage to
write a tcng configuration which guarantees a certain bandwith per client
request. I must be able to assign (and guarantee) a defined bandwith to a
client request, to make the downloads more predictable. My experiments so
far only allowed me to limit e.g. HTTP traffic, which then was equally
distributed to the number of clients, but this led to the usual "traffic
jam" when too many clients initiated a simultanes download.

Can anybody please assist me, or does anybody have a working "tcng" config
file to do the job. Additional readings/comments/links (beside those listed
in the LDB/Linux Traffic Control Howtos are also welcome.)

Wang Jian posted a perflow queue recently -

http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2005q2/015381.html

It is the sort of thing you need if you can't do it with apache as recommended.

Andy.