Re: do I need to iptables mark in this scenario?

Ron McKown wrote:

After lots of reading on the mailing list archive, it appears the best
way to handle this is to mark packets from each user, then on eth0 have
HTB or CBQ (really unsure which to use) shape each marked packet
accordingly.  Currently, I'm matching by IP (u32?), so should I match by
fwmark instead?

Yes you could do that or if you are using recent kernel/iptables you can classify directly.

http://www.netfilter.org/patch-o-matic/pom-submitted.html

If you need to use mark just do something like

$IPTABLES -t mangle -A POSTROUTING --src 192.168.0.4 -j MARK --set-mark 34

and then match it with a filter on eth0

$TC filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 6 protocol ip handle 34 fw flowid 1:34

Andy.