Re: Too stupid to figure out shaping

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 17:35, John Gorkos wrote:
> Anyway, I'd dearly appreciate some help on this.  Surely this is a nut
> that someone has already cracked, but for the life of me all I can find
> on the internet are how-to shape your own outbound traffic to your ISP

I may be really close to this one. Although I'm not an ISP and don't have
customers per se, I do have flatmates and a router, and I'm pretty much
using the one class per user approach you're describing.

Although I know of someone who is using a modified version of this script
in a wireless network, it's developed with 'home router' (especially my
own router) and 'fair sharing' in mind. So it has many downsides for you;
it kicks out your firewall, works only with static IPs, and capping users
to 256/368/512kbit will only affect ceil rate.

On the bright side, as long as you have one device for internet, one device
for customers, and your customers have static IPs on this device, it might
work out of the box for you, and even if it doesn't, it comes with some
documentation and structure that is supposed to make it easy to
understand, extract ideas and modify. And from what I read in the feedback
I get, most people use it this way. ;-)

You can find my script here: http://www.metamorpher.de/fairnat

HTH
Andreas