Re: Please advise how to set up for 5 IPs

Jason Boxman wrote:
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 15:36, gypsy wrote:
<snip>

How can I implement ingress shaping / policing to limit the combined
incoming rate, regardless of IP, to about 700K (the connection is
actually 730K in and 690K out).  Only because it REALLY annoys me to
drop an already received packet, I would prefer to shape than to drop,
but I am presently policing.

I can't see how you could shape other than to drop. You have already received the packet. If it's over the rate for that particular flow, and the traffic is TCP, you can only hope enough drops will result in the connection being throttled by the remote end's TCP stack.

Queueing is important aswell as dropping. You will need to drop sometimes, but you can decide to only queue/drop bulk traffic if you shape with htb. For ingress, or more correctly, shaping from the wrong and of a bottleneck I like to use esfq (so I can choose length) with classic hash - so that each tcp gets dequeued at the rate it's entitled - rather than a burst at near full speed followed by a wait while others are serviced. Shaping from the narrow end of the bottleneck is hard if you care alot about latency and don't want to sacrifice too much bandwidth. SFQ helps prevent burstiness over other queues - but don't set perturb too low - Default (10) is OK, I use 20. It causes packet reordering which hurts latency when shaping incoming - the effect is worse with single connections.

There are other tweaks possible but they are probably not worth the hassle unless you are noticing problems.

Andy.