same address range, different interfaces

Hello people,

I have a router machine, kernel 2.4.20 with 4 physical interfaces (but
many more virtual ones over differel VLANs). we need to NAT/route
between hosts on different VLANs, but with the same address, for
instance, 10.0.0.2 reachable via eth0.2 needs to talk to 10.0.0.2 which
is on eth0.3.

clearly if they were of different subnets this poses no problem, but I
want to create an iproute2-based setup where they each know each other
by a different address, as set on the router, for instance one could
access the other at 10.1.1.2 and the other will access the first one at
10.1.2.2.

in other words:

 Host A[]--------[Router]------[]Host B

A and B's address is the same,
each knows the other at addresses A' and B' as NATed by the router. This
solution should be possible with iproute2 logicly, but I have exhausted
Google and this list's archives trying to find a documentation for this.

just addring rule and route to each as the FAQs simply list (for static
NAT) does not give expected results. I'll forward here any outputs you
may be interested in, let me know how I can help you help me.

our final goal is to be able to do a proof f concept of this with N
physical interfaces and M VLANs on each, and see what the limits and
overheads do.

thanks in advance,
Ira

--