Re: questions

On Monday 08 September 2003 21:02, Jay Wineinger wrote:
> Hey guys,
>     Im going to be setting up a qos system for the college I attend and I
> had some questions.  First, the box will be a transparent bridge and I
> would like to prioritize traffic (3 class/types only, [interactive,
> web+mail+etc, bulk]) and also limit single ips to specified up/down speeds.
>  I want to use HTB.
>     1)  the network here will have about 500-600 computers on the network,
> with 400 active at any one time.  Any ideas on what kind of hardware will
> be needed to accomodate this?  They have given me a P-II 350 with 256Mb of
> RAM and 2 realtek based 10/100 NICs.  Should this be enough?
It depends on the number of active classes you will have.

>     2) What would be the most efficient way (qdisc/class structure) to
> accomplish this?  The school's main link is approx 6mbit, yet if I split
> that among the anticipated active computers, that would average about
> 15kbit per computer, which is terrible.  So, that means if I want to allot
> any useful amount of bandwidth to all of the computers, my total alloted
> bandwidth would be greater than the link.  Am I correct in my reasoning
> here? If so, what would all of you experienced shapers recommend for my
> setup? (tree diagrams, descriptions would be great)
You can try to implement the wrr qdisc.  This qdisc creates a class for each
mac address (or ip address) and classify's the traffic.  It can "punish" big
downloaders by limiting the bandwidth.
http://wipl-wrr.sourceforge.net/

>     3) iptables marking will not work over the bridge (correct?) so I need
> to learn to use u32 filter classifiers.  Are there any in depth howto's,
> etc out there?  Im looking at the LARTC page on it and Im still pretty
> confused.
You can use iptables on a bridge but you need some extra patches.  See the faq
page on docum.org.

> 4) Anything else I should remember/consider?
Don't forget to monitor the link so you can check the setup.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"