questions

Hey guys,
    Im going to be setting up a qos system for the college I attend and I
had some questions.  First, the box will be a transparent bridge and I would
like to prioritize traffic (3 class/types only, [interactive, web+mail+etc,
bulk]) and also limit single ips to specified up/down speeds.  I want to use
HTB.
    1)  the network here will have about 500-600 computers on the network,
with 400 active at any one time.  Any ideas on what kind of hardware will be
needed to accomodate this?  They have given me a P-II 350 with 256Mb of RAM
and 2 realtek based 10/100 NICs.  Should this be enough?
    2) What would be the most efficient way (qdisc/class structure) to
accomplish this?  The school's main link is approx 6mbit, yet if I split
that among the anticipated active computers, that would average about 15kbit
per computer, which is terrible.  So, that means if I want to allot any
useful amount of bandwidth to all of the computers, my total alloted
bandwidth would be greater than the link.  Am I correct in my reasoning
here? If so, what would all of you experienced shapers recommend for my
setup? (tree diagrams, descriptions would be great)
    3) iptables marking will not work over the bridge (correct?) so I need
to learn to use u32 filter classifiers.  Are there any in depth howto's, etc
out there?  Im looking at the LARTC page on it and Im still pretty confused.
    4) Anything else I should remember/consider?

Please CC replies to my address shad at wnoc dot com
Jay