[LARTC] Ingress mode

Hi there Raghuveer,

Just a brief answer here.

 : I want to apply traffic control rules for the incomming traffic to my
 : firewall, which is what we call it as Ingress mode, am I right....?
 : Just to confirm, suppose my firewall WAN interface is eth0 with IP
 : 66.218.71.198 and LAN interface is eth1 with IP 192.168.1.2. So any
 : traffic from Internet---->WAN is where I want to do traffic control for
 : my LAN IP's. Hence amI right in saying that in ingress mode traffic
 : control will be happening at eth0 interface(or ppp0 interface, WAN with
 : ppp0 enabled).
 :
 : I saw in the link documents that, for ingress we are using imq0, so how
 : this will fit into my scenario...?. I understood that in ingress mode
 : we have to drop the packets instead of queueing it like in egress mode,
 : so is it going to have any effects other than latency...?

If you are using the Internet-connected host simply as a
routing, firewalling, masquerading and bandwidth controlling host, simply
forget about using IMQ.  Just shape the inbound traffic on your eth0
before you transmit it to the clients, and shape the outbound traffic on
ppp0 (wan0?) before you transmit it to the Internet.

Best of luck,

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx