[LARTC] r2q error with HTB

(This is a re-statement of a question I asked earlier)

I have a number of HTB classes feeding into a root HTB qdisc. Whenever I
set the rate on any of the subordinate classes to 78 kpbs or less, I get
the following message:

HTB : quantum of class <class ID> is small. Consider r2q change.

I've done some reading about the meaning of r2q, and I understand it
now:

    quantum = rate/r2q

where:

    rate is expressed in kilobits per second
    quantum is expressed in bytes
    r2q has the appropriate units and is 10 by default

Based on what I've read, it's not at all clear why HTB would complain
about a rate of 78Kbit. That corresponds to a quantum of 7800 bytes,
which is much larger than the maximum Ethernet packet size (1500).

Anyone have a clue?