Re: [LARTC] Parameters for the ingress qdisc?

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 22:59, Patrick Turley wrote:
> I can't find any documentation on the paramaters for the ingress qdisc.
> Can someone help me?
>
> I have a number of filters feeding into my ingress qdisc, all of which
> are rate limited, but I want to place a limit on the aggregate flow as
> well. I don't want to monitor the sum of the flow rates - I want to
> place a hard ceiling on the total possible flow that overrides
> everything else.
>
> Any further details about the internal workings of the ingress qdisc
> would also be very helpful. I've seen some stuff that suggests its
> really a TBF in disguise, but I'm not sure. In particular, I'd like to
> understand if the flows into the ingress qdisc can borrow from the root
> and/or each other. Also, since the ingress qdisc is classless, how does
> it work that each of the incoming flows are separately metered? (As I
> understand it, filters only serve to guide packets into classes)
>
> I know that the IMQ device offers a more sophisticated way to do this
> but, for now, that device is not available to me.
>
> I need answers to these specific questions, but I very much appreciate
> any other information anyone would like to volunteer.
The ingress qdisc itself has no parameters.  The only thing you can do is
using the policers.  I have a link with a patch to extend this :
http://www.cyberus.ca/~hadi/patches/action/
Maybe this can help.

I have some more info about ingress in my mail files, but I have to sort it
out and put it somewhere on docum.org.  But I still didn't found the the time
to do so.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx