Re: [LARTC] Parameters for the ingress qdisc?

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 00:11, Patrick Turley wrote:
> Thank you very much for the link. That information was very helpful and
> has given me a lot of insight.
>
> Of course, the more I know, the more questions occur...
>
> I try not to be a nuisance, so I've been doing a lot of research and I
> thought I'd already found all the important web sites for Linux traffic
> control. I looked again, and I still can't find anything about "filter
> policers" anywhere. I didn't find any description of a command line that
> even suggested such a thing was possible. Can you please point me to
> some more info about this, if any exists?
There also some limited example scripts in the iproute2 source.

> The fact that the filters are metering traffic flows implies that they
> have are stateful. When using filters with egress queue hierarchies, it
> was my understanding that no state was needed since all they do is
> direct packets into classes. It sounds like my current understanding is
> quite wrong.
I don't think the filters are statefull.  If you use policers, you only rate
limit the filters.  The filters itself have no idea about the traffic flows.

> BTW, we are working with a stock RedHat 7.3 2.4.20-18.7 kernel, and we
> are VERY reluctant to apply patches of any kind, so we're just going to
> work with whatever is available in the bits we download. We're
> considering moving up to 2.4.21 to get IMQ, but that doesn't appear to
> be available for RedHat 7.3 yet - in fact, this may force us to RedHat
> 9.0 (not a bad thing, really).
Why don't you download the kernel source 7.3 2.4.20-18.7 from RH and the
config file?  So you have the same source as the kernel you trust.  If you
trust that source, you can pacth it with what ever you want.

Stef

--

stef.coene@xxxxxxxxx
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"