Re: [LARTC] (no subject)

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 04:03:22 +0100
"Kjell Chris. Flor" <kjell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello, Chris,

[ cut ]
> >Because it serves as sort of a virtual bucket (literally), in which you are
> >collecting packets, comming from the physical devices, once you "-j IMQ"-ed
> them
> >whith iptables.
>
> I've got three ADSL lines. ADSL1, ADSL2 and ADSL3.
> When packets arrives I mark them in IPtables with 1, 2 or 3 so I can
> know in my LAN interface what interface each packet arrived on at
> the INTERNET interfaces, so each packet can be put into a HTB class
> that represent each ADSL bandwidth.
> In addition to this I also match for dest IP in LAN, and put each IP
> in a different HTB class with different rates, ceil and prio. Also I
> use SFQ in HTB.
>
> This is it for shaping incoming packets from Internet on ADSL 1-3,
> to my single LAN.

This is nice example of egress traffic control.

> Now I want to shape what is coming from LAN going out on Internet's
> ADSL lines. This I do by making three HTB qdiscs, one for each ADSL
> line. As my LAN is NATed I don't know from whom I got a packet,
> so I use mark in IPtables to identify an LAN IP with a HTB class.
>
> This is how I shape. I don't know what is more clever, and I don't know
> how IMQ could help me to do this neater, but I really would like to know.

Well, if this is working for you, there's absolutely no need to use the IMQ
device, I think. :))

But nevertheless, you could use just one HTB, instead of three fo each ADSL,
if you use iptrables -j IMQ for packets coming from your LAN and going out
to the Internet, no matter to which line they're destined.

		LAN

		ETH

		IMQ

		3xADSL

or sorta. :))) I really dont know if I made myself clear, but this is the idea
of using IMQ. In fact you'll be doing traffic control in a single point.

Hth,
Nickola