Re: [LARTC] About HTB , bandwidth limiting for ftp port...

Hi Martin,

First of all thanks for the info.
Now among all the links you have sent I think, the one which says about using the helper and mark the packets will be the one which will best do the job.

So I think what you are pointing to, is that mark all the ftp packets (control and data) with a specific mark and then do bandwidth policies on the basis of that mark.. is that right Martin?

Also I ran ethereal for further analysis. To my surprise ethereal showed FTP-DATA in front of the data which is captured by it duing ftp transactions.? Any idea how did ethereal found that out ??

Thanks for helping and anticipation
Dp

PS.. In one of my previous querries you had asked about the idea of FAQ. I am totally for it...

Martin A. Brown wrote:

Hi there Dhirendra,

: Okay now I put on a rule for FTP port 21 for 100Kbps. Now when I am
: retriving data from ftp server I think the port is different when doing
: passive ftp transfer. If I am not wrong then a new dynamic port is sent
: by the ftp server to the client.. and then client initiates a new
: connection on that port and then the real ftp data transfer happens.

Yes.  I think FTP should be summarily executed.  It has been plaguing us
since the beginnings of firewalls and NAT.  Sadly, another spiritually
impoverished but well-known operating system has two basic options for
file transfer:  HTTP ("the Internet", of course!), and FTP (for experts!).
Of course, on the other side of the divide, people (ab)use ssh for all
sorts of nefarious purposes.......  (anybody remember a recent article in
some print periodical detailing NFS over ssh?)

There has been discussion on the question of FTP (port/passive) and
shaping on this list in the past.  Here are some links.

See the following threads:

 http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2001q3/001473.html
 http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2002q1/002388.html
 http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2003q1/007498.html

See also Eric Leblond's description of usage:

http://home.regit.org/connmark.html

: My Question is : Now when limiting the bandwidht will htb limit that
: data transfer(i.e. the real file transfer) also under 100Kbps or will
: that data transfer be not at all affected by the rule..?

That depends entirely on how you use the tools above.  Take a look at Eric
Lelond's description, and let us know if you are successful.

: Just a novice question.. but please guide me...

This question is in exactly the right forum, and I'm quite sure I wouldn't
call it a novice question....though it might well belong in that rumoured
FAQ.

Good luck,

-Martin