Re: [LARTC] About HTB , bandwidth limiting for ftp port...

** Reply to message from "Martin A. Brown" <mabrown-lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Thu, 13 Mar 2003 20:37:33 -0600 (CST)

> Hi there Dhirendra,
>
>  : Okay now I put on a rule for FTP port 21 for 100Kbps. Now when I am
>  : retriving data from ftp server I think the port is different when doing
>  : passive ftp transfer. If I am not wrong then a new dynamic port is sent
>  : by the ftp server to the client.. and then client initiates a new
>  : connection on that port and then the real ftp data transfer happens.
>
> Yes.  I think FTP should be summarily executed.  It has been plaguing us
> since the beginnings of firewalls and NAT.  Sadly, another spiritually
> impoverished but well-known operating system has two basic options for
> file transfer:  HTTP ("the Internet", of course!), and FTP (for experts!).
> Of course, on the other side of the divide, people (ab)use ssh for all
> sorts of nefarious purposes.......  (anybody remember a recent article in
> some print periodical detailing NFS over ssh?)
<snip>

Not trying to be argumentative or start a useless tangential thread here, but none other than Frank da Cruz provides his reason why he thinks ftp is better than ssh/scp at the following link:

http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftpclient.html

Note he is coming at this as the developer of the most capable comm program ever.

jb

--
Jack Bowling                mailto:jbinpg@xxxxxxx
Prince George, BC