Re: [LARTC] About HTB , bandwidth limiting for ftp port...

Hi there Dhirendra,

 : Okay now I put on a rule for FTP port 21 for 100Kbps. Now when I am
 : retriving data from ftp server I think the port is different when doing
 : passive ftp transfer. If I am not wrong then a new dynamic port is sent
 : by the ftp server to the client.. and then client initiates a new
 : connection on that port and then the real ftp data transfer happens.

Yes.  I think FTP should be summarily executed.  It has been plaguing us
since the beginnings of firewalls and NAT.  Sadly, another spiritually
impoverished but well-known operating system has two basic options for
file transfer:  HTTP ("the Internet", of course!), and FTP (for experts!).
Of course, on the other side of the divide, people (ab)use ssh for all
sorts of nefarious purposes.......  (anybody remember a recent article in
some print periodical detailing NFS over ssh?)

There has been discussion on the question of FTP (port/passive) and
shaping on this list in the past.  Here are some links.

See the following threads:

  http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2001q3/001473.html
  http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2002q1/002388.html
  http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2003q1/007498.html

See also Eric Leblond's description of usage:

  http://home.regit.org/connmark.html

 : My Question is : Now when limiting the bandwidht will htb limit that
 : data transfer(i.e. the real file transfer) also under 100Kbps or will
 : that data transfer be not at all affected by the rule..?

That depends entirely on how you use the tools above.  Take a look at Eric
Lelond's description, and let us know if you are successful.

 : Just a novice question.. but please guide me...

This question is in exactly the right forum, and I'm quite sure I wouldn't
call it a novice question....though it might well belong in that rumoured
FAQ.

Good luck,

-Martin

--