Re: [LARTC] Bandwith limiting, simple solution?

John,

 : First of all, let me warn you, im not a deep *nix dude, i've used linux
 : for some time now but never at this level, so bare with me.

Flasher!  :)    {You meant "bear with me"}

 : I know my question most likely could be solved by reading the HOWTO,
 : however, i wanted to hear if someone knew a simple and fast solution
 : before i start reading 100's of pages.

Traffic control isn't terribly difficult, but it is conceptual.  I'd
recommend reading the LARTC HOWTO [1] and Stef Coene's site [2].

 : It's quite simple, i want to limit up outgoing traffic to 128kbit. All
 : incoming should remain as maximum, only the outgoing should be
 : affected.

Well....since incoming and outgoing are required for any connection,
you'll have to approach this from a different angle when you get ready to
write some traffic control classifiers (tc filter).

 : Though, IF possible and not a MUST, i would like the intern network to
 : remain 100mbit.

No problem.  Take a look at the KPTD [3] to see that traffic control is
just about the last thing that happens to an outbound packet.

 : Anyone know a simple solution to this?

Simplest place to start would be the wondershaper [4], but you'll need to
tweak it if you intend to just cap the bandwidth available for connections
initiated from the inside.

Good luck,

-Martin

 [1]  http://lartc.org/howto/