RE: [LARTC] Problem with network and zebra

> I have connected the ethernet card of two computers
> with a crossover cable. [...]  no other address
> on these cards (no gateway, etc) other than their inet
> address with a netmask of 255.255.255.255( a.b.c.d/32)

> Then I have added each others eth card as neighbours
> using "ip neigh add" comand.

that's not necessary, unless you have disabled ARP.

> Then I created a route between these 2 interfaces
> using "ip route add dest_addr scope link dev
> eth0(Dest_dev) "

use a tool like tcpdump to see what's going on the wire.
and double check the configuration on both sides.

alternatively, try with just ifconfig and "plain" route :
box1# ifconfig eth0 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.255
box1# route add -host 4.3.2.1 eth0
box2# ifconfig eth0 4.3.2.1 netmask 255.255.255.255
box2# route add -host 1.2.3.4 eth0
if /that/ does not work, check connectivity with a
"standard" setup, because it's probably a lower-level
problem then.

> (I have also set the
> proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward file to 1 )

not necessary, unless you have more than 2 machines,
and one of them acts as a router between the others.

> How much time des it take for the zebra daemon to run?
> (a few seconds or some minutes)?
> When I ran zebra, there seemed to be no activity.

it depends of the protocol. I think that RIP, if no
route is injected to it, will never send anything.
else, it broadcasts every minute, as do OSPF. BGP,
by default, only tries to establish TCP connections
with the configured peers.

> What could be the problem? When the zebra daemon runs, does
> it display any messages?

after starting, i.e., zebra, try "telnet localhost zebra".

Jerome Petazzoni <skaya at enix dot org>
--
Noble dragons don't have friends. The nearest they can get to the idea is an
enemy who is still alive.