Re: SV: [LARTC] I know there must be a way ...

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 12:19:09AM +0100, Paul Wisen wrote:
> Got to ask..   (this is kind of cool btw) ..
>
> What machine will he need to shape traffic at those speeds ?

Hehe, yeah, that is a problem. 300mbit in + 300mbit out requires a quality
machine, probably with multiple PCI busses, or 64bit if possible.

> Our ISP is probably interested.. We need to shape traffic at 155Mbit/s
> speeds to do it though.. And, I mentioned that they probably should consider
> to use a linuxbox to prioritize cusomer like us in favour of those private
> customers on their fibre network... Or atleast do fair quing..

Well, some things can be done at that rate and other things can't. 155Mbit/s
is well within Linux' range, we've routed 90mbit/s (90 in, 90 out) on a low
end machine.

RED certainly works at those rates as it is very simpleminded. SFQ is
probably out, unless you recompile your kernel. At those speeds you may want
larger queues than 128 packets, which is the SFQ default.

PRIO would also not be a problem. I think a PRIO with RED qdiscs may be what
you want.

And who knows, CBQ is also *very* lightweight in its determination of link
utilization.

I would say that this is most likely possible at 155Mbit/s. You will need to
ask around - lots of people are doing gigabit experiments, some
configurations work far better than others.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People