Re: [LARTC] I know there must be a way ...

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 02:10:12PM -0800, George Bonser wrote:

> Two providers. A primary I will call provider-A and a backup that I will
> call provider-B. I collect full routes from both by BGP. My aggregate
> traffic output varies from about 130MB in the middle of the night up to
> about 300MB during the day ... a little lower on the weekends. Provider-B
> is more expensive and has a 50MB minimum. I have fiddled with my BGP so
> that I end up sending about 45-50MB of traffic to provider-B during my
> peak time of the day.  What I would like to do is pretty much nail
> provider-B to 50MB at all times using a Linux box in the traffic path.

So you send 300mbit/s? Wow.

> A bit more detail on what I am trying to do:
>
> A packet arriving from inside my network has 4 possible dispositions.
>
> 1. There is a route to the destination from both providers (most likely).
> 2. There is a route only from Provider-A.
> 3. There is a route only from Provider-B.
> 4. There is no route from either provider.
>
> I can make zebra put routes into realms. I can then check arriving packets
> to see if a realm has a route to the destination. Packets in disposition 2
> must go to provider-A, packets in disposition 3 must go to provider-B.
> Packets in disposition 1 are what I call "the pool" and may go to either A
> or B to get to their distination.

I get this.

> What I want to do is create three streams ... A, B, and Pool. I need to
> mark A so that it gets routed to provider-A (with FWMARK or some other
> means ... say TOS), mark stream B so that it is nailed to provider B, BUT
> when stream B is below 50MB, I want to pull in packets from the pool to
> bring it up to 50. I do NOT want to rate-limit at 50 because if I loose my
> link to provider-A or they have a peering issue, more than 50MB might need
> to go to B, I just want to stop pulling traffic from the pool at that
> point.  Any traffic in the pool remaining after B has pulled what it wants
> would be marked for provider-A.

Hmm. Hmmm. I think this can be done!

You should attach an ingress shaper to all interfaces that receive traffic.
I hope this is only one, or you will be in trouble. To attach an ingress
shaper to multiple interfaces, you need it loaded as a module, btw,
otherwise Bad Things will happen.

Now, you must use a policing filter that will tag all traffic below
50mbit/s. Later on, you will use this tag to route with. All traffic above
gets no tag, or another tag.

The policing filter isn't the hard part, see the 'synflood' section in the
HOWTO. The hard part is placing the mark. I think DSMARK does what you want.
Later on, you must find a way to route based on the tc_index, as set by
DSMARK. Perhaps by matching on it in iptables FORWARD and replacing it with
an fwmark.

I'm not sure. But I think the answer lies in DSMARK. Otherwise I can whip up
a tc filter that does fwmark directly. Let me know.

[ Ok, I reread what you want and it's a bit different, but these are the
  tools available. You may need to create lots and lots of rules because you
  need to be able to tell at ingress time where a packet is going to be
  sent.  Tc filters can be hashed & are then lighting fast. ]

If you get this working you can give a talk about it on whatever routing
conference you choose, btw.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
Trilab                                 The Technology People