[LARTC] Traffic Control on ADSL

Heyas,

I'm pretty new to this (more new than most of those who say 'I'm new to
this'), but I have a basic understanding of what goes on though.

[The situation]:
A friend of mine has a linux machine running on an ADSL linie. He has given
several friends accounts, so they can download faster (a temporary storage),
if they are on a modem connection.

The linux machine acts as a software router his private internal network,
which consists of 2 PC's for the time being. eth0 is the interface towards
his LAN (with private IP range 192.168.0.*) and eth1 is the ADSL interface
towards the ISP, having a fixed IP - lets say it has the IP 111.111.111.111.
The same machine is also the linux system, that users have access to for
downloading.

[The problem]:
He plays games over the Internet - and when 3-4 users on the system are
downloading at the same time - it is practically impossible to play with
pings above then 1000ms.

[The solution]:
Traffic control, of course - hopefully. What I want to do is to grant him AT
LEAST 50% of both upload and download speed - meaning he should always have
50% of the bandwidth for his own use, WHEN he uses it. Of course, when he is
not using it, the others can use the bandwidth. This I know tc can do :)

[The questions]:
I can grant his local private network at least 50% of the bandwidth (haven't
tried, but the HOWTO explains it well).

1. Is it possible to limit the traffic to users on the the linux machine
itself, so they can't download at full speed when he's using it? That is, if
he is using the connection, he can at least expect 50% of the bandwidth.

2. Wouldn't this create some some kind of 'loop' in limiting? By limiting
traffic to 111.111.111.111, I limit the total incoming traffic to
111.111.111.111.. and again limiting the limited.. Or is it just me, who's
making a big deal out of this? :)

Any answers.. solutions? :)

He is using kernel 2.2.17 (soon 2.2.18, since I don't have the guts to
change to 2.4.0 over the Internet - something always goes wrong) :)

- Theepan