Re: [LARTC] I need some advice.

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, billy wrote:

> Hi, take a look at this
>
>  TOPOLOGY:

[wow, that pic got screwed up badly... try to think of a linewidth of 78
 chars at the most]

>  The linux box should do:
>     - act as Router
>     - NAT 1,2,3,4. In NATs segment I may have public IP (202.1.1.15)
>     - Traffic control from 32kb to 512kb based on IP address
>
>  Each NAT will have in the future about 100-200 hosts.

>  NOTE: this is for a wireless network so maybe the switch could be
>  replaced for some wireless cards on the linux box.

> I DONT WANT YOU TO DO IT FORE ME !!! Just need to know:
>
> if it is possible to do it with iproute2?

No. Not with *only* iproute2. However, iproute2 in combination with
Linux 2.4 (the kernel...) and iptables *does* make it possible.

> if there are some problems or recomandations I must have to take.

NAT has a bit of a problem with certain protocols such as FTP. These are
mostly handled by the kernel, but there may be cases with new or custom
protocols that are not handled yet. You ought to be aware of that.
Furthermore, IPsec AH-mode does not work with NAT. IPsec ESP-mode does,
fortunately.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt