[LARTC] Basic shaping works!

Hi all,

Yesterday I got the tip about depmod -a but that didn't work: lots of
undefined symbols and other stuff. I decided to code the entire QOS stuff
directly in the kernel and now it works!

I had some problems with the example of the iproute-2.4 page but that was
because I mixed the 'prio' in the tc filter statement. I found out that when
the high prio belongs to the 'low-bandwidth' class, this doesn't seem to
work.

I then started deleting parts of the configuration and somewhere down the
line it worked! After I changed the prio-order in the tc filter statement
things worked like I expected they should work.

As soon as I get some time, I hope to go on with the examples in combination
with the firewall-rules to give higher priority to ssh traffic and so on.

By the way, are there people here who have also played with the ingres
policer qdisc?

And what tools do you use to monitor the network-load? I am currently
running XCounter 1.0.3 but in my research on the web about traffic-shaping I
have seen some very impressive graphs with the different QOS'ses (but I
believe that was for FreeBSD). I would already be pleased with a tool that
displays a graph over a period of time (like Perfmon in Windows NT).

Thanks again for your time,

Clemens Sibon