[LARTC] How HTB treats priorities?

--2)/.U16_4e'yM=.9

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:37:44 +0100 Stef Coene <stef.coene@docum.org>
wrote....

> > Lets assume all classes try to send at their maximum speed trying to
> > saturate the link. According to what you have written class D will get
> > 64kbit/s, class E 128kbit/s and class F will get 32kbit/s. The sum is
> > 224kbit/s if I am correct. Am I right?
> Yes.  So the rate of the parent B must also be at least 224kbit/s.  And
> not 8kbis/s like you wrote before.
>
> > I dont want it to happen since customers have paid for 128kbit/s with
> > guaranteed rato of 8kbit/s. Is there a way to acomplish my task???.
> > Can it be done using HTB only?
> Yes, make the sum of D,E and F = 128kbit/s.

	This is the same kind of setup I've been shooting for. When you say the
sum of D, E and F, are you talking rate or ceil? I would imagine ceil.
That makes it hard to please the customer who is paying for 128kbit, yet
only sees it in 3 42kbit streams, or some other breakdown of the 128k. If
I understand you right, there is no way to run three seperate children for
prioritizing packets, and still give full bandwidth of parent to any of
the three, without allowing the use of all three at the same time to
exceed the parent?

---
Homer Parker                  /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
                              \ / No HTML/RTF in email
http://www.homershut.net       x  No Word docs in email
telnet://bbs.homershut.net    / \ Respect for open standards

This e-mail message is 100% Microsoft free!

WARNING: THIS ACCOUNT BELONGS TO A RABID
ANTI-SPAMMER NET-NAZI DOT-COMMUNIST!!

--2)/.U16_4e'yM=.9

--2)/.U16_4e'yM=.9--