[LARTC] How HTB treats priorities?

Hi there,
>> > Lets assume all classes try to send at their maximum speed trying to
>> saturate the link. According to what you have written class D will
>> get 64kbit/s, class E 128kbit/s and class F will get 32kbit/s. The
>> sum is 224kbit/s if I am correct. Am I right?
>> Yes.  So the rate of the parent B must also be at least 224kbit/s.
>> And not 8kbis/s like you wrote before.
>>
>> > I dont want it to happen since customers have paid for 128kbit/s
>> with guaranteed rato of 8kbit/s. Is there a way to acomplish my
>> task???. Can it be done using HTB only?
>> Yes, make the sum of D,E and F = 128kbit/s.
>
> 	This is the same kind of setup I've been shooting for. When you say the
> sum of D, E and F, are you talking rate or ceil? I would imagine ceil.
> That makes it hard to please the customer who is paying for 128kbit, yet
> only sees it in 3 42kbit streams, or some other breakdown of the 128k.
> If I understand you right, there is no way to run three seperate
> children for prioritizing packets, and still give full bandwidth of
> parent to any of the three, without allowing the use of all three at the
> same time to exceed the parent?
Yes, I am talking about ceil. And the problem is that (and you as well) I
want 128kbit/s go to class E in case D and F are idle. There must be a way
to set this up, but for now I don't know how. If neither ceiling nor rate
of parent class is respected, what are parents in htb for. Flat structure
would be enough. I would like to receive more feedback on this.

The real reason for this is to limit p2p traffic, still allowing customer
to surf the web, send email, play counter strike at full speed.

Robert Kryczało