[LARTC] How HTB treats priorities?

> >Remaining bandwidth inside class B is distributed first to class D, th=
en E
> >and then F and is limited by ceiling parameter . Right???
>       yes, what you have said is right.
Confirmed.  Lowest prio classes are allowed to send first.

> >Class A has available bandwidth. Rules for guaranteed rates for classe=
> >D,E,F,G,H,I are fulfilled. So available bandwidth has to
> >be distributed between class B and C equaly (assuming B and C has the =
same
> >rate and prio). Is remaining bandwidth distributed to classes D and G,=
 and
> >then to classes E and H and at the end to classes F and I???
Yes.

>   I remember having read something about the "rate" parameter of a
> parent HTB class.  I think it was that the "rate" parameter isn't used,
> only the "ceil" parameter (of a parent HTB class) is important.  Check
> the list archive and the HTB home page because I'm not sure.
Nor the rate, nor the ceil are respected if the child class can send.  So=
 if B=20
end C can send the remaining bandwidth, they will.  Even if the parent ce=
il=20
is not permitting it.

>   If what I have written is true, there is a possibility that bandwidth
> is not distributed equally between classes B and C.
Indeed.  This can be true IF class B and C have different rates.  But I d=
id=20
some tests and it seems to be that remaining bandwidth is splitted 50-50 =
and=20
according to the rates.  Strange.  I will test it further tomorrow.  But =
the=20
prio of the parent is respected.  So the parent with the lowest prio get =
all=20
remaining bandwidth.

> >What if C and B have different rates?
> >
> >Is prio parameter taken into account when htb tries to meet guaranteed
> >rate rules?
>
>    I think the "prio" parameter is only used after all classes have
> reached their guaranteed minimum rate, to allow the user to create
> classes that will borrow bandwidth over other classes.
Yep.

And I have some more on the faq page on www.docum.org

> >Are packets classfied to class D and G sent first?
>
>    No, unless classes D and G haven't reached their guaranteed minimum
> rate.
>
> >What will happen if prio of class B is 0 and class C is 3? I assume
> >remaining bandwidth is first distributed to class B and to its childre=
n.
> >Right???
>
>     Same answer regarding parent HTB classes.  I'm not sure.
All remaining bandwidth goes to B.

Stef

--=20

stef.coene@docum.org