[LARTC] QoS (HTB) without IP address

Am Die, 2002-12-31 um 00.14 schrieb Martin A. Brown:

> Setting the problem of the tiny network aside, I'm interested in your
> suggestion, Daniel, that he use the same IP on both interfaces of the
> box--I've not tried that before.

The ip (and thus the size of the network) is irrelevant; actually it
shouldn't even matter if one has the same IP on all or interfaces IIRC.

My vision on the solution is unfortunately not really clear as we're
doing a lot more perverted things as part of a bussiness solution
which could simplify the simple setup a lot (upside down, eh? :) )

> Do you have an example config?

What I've been doing at some point was to simply route traffic from
one interface to another and vice versa using the incomming interface
as selector for the iptable rules.

Another (and probably more flexible aproach) would be to mark incomming
from one interface with some mark, handle as if it was "normal" traffic
inside the packet filters and then route the other interface based on
the firewall mark.

> Have you seen any problems with this configuration?

Yes, the first approach (we had taken originally) had the problem that
it was quite hard to intercept packets and handle them differently
like push them through an transparent proxy. Also (and this is nasty for
us) it's almost impossible to run services on the "bridge" and correctly
let them answer back to the client.

We're doing it sort of differently now: We still have the same IP
on both interfaces and the machine is almost transparent, but we
only have one default route pointing to the net and several host routes
into the client net which are set up on demand. That way we have
a mixture of a router and a bridge but can still provide services on
the machine. We also have lots of special services on the machine
automatically creating routes on demand and doing arp faking so
it might not work that well without...

--
Daniel Egger <egger@spotnic.de>