[LARTC] QoS (HTB) without IP address

Hi there,

It's a good thought, Daniel, but he is restricted by his /30 network.
This means he only has two IPs, hence his need for a bridging device.

[ Gilles, you should be able to enter a static route from each of these
  hosts to an RFC1918 address on the bridge itself (as Stef Coene had
  suggested), and per http://bridge.sourceforge.net/docs/bridge.html.
  the ARP will work just fine--no need for static entries in ARP tables. ]

Setting the problem of the tiny network aside, I'm interested in your
suggestion, Daniel, that he use the same IP on both interfaces of the
box--I've not tried that before.

Do you have an example config?
Have you seen any problems with this configuration?

I'm going to have to try that out!  Thanks for the idea.

-Martin

 : > But if I wat to manage it remotely, AND if I have NO ip available (cause
 : > netmask is 255.255.255.252), can I have a third interface, not put it brctl
 : > and assign an IP of the private network (IP from RFC 1918) normally the
 : > bridge software should ignore it and I can put a nice Apache with RRD Tool,
 : > with MRTG, with any other nice tool to monitor bandwith and connections ?
 :
 : Forget the bridging junk. Pick an ipaddress, assign it to both
 : interfaces and make sure you configure iptables to FORWARD traffic
 : comming from either side to the other. Additionally you can setup
 : whatever sort of traffic shaping you desire and/or implement a
 : transparent proxy.
 :
 :

--