Re: Traffic shaping for upload & download

On Friday 01 November 2002 06:35, Joseph Watson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about two way traffic, and how to shape it?
>
> Lets say we want to limit a customer usage to 256kbit total.  So on my
> firewall I add shaping rules to the client side nice with a ceiling of
> 256kbit.  Now I also want to limit there upload, so I add the same to the
> other nice in the firewall.  But if the customer uploads and downloads at
> the same time, they could use up 512kbit of my connection.  How can one
> handle this problem.  Is there a way to specify a max for all traphic and
> then alow barrowing between upload and download??  Or it this a limitation
> that I will have to live with?
You can use the imq device.  This is a virtual device.  You can redirect
packets with iptables to it and you can do it on incoming/outgoing and from
different NIC's.  So you can limit download + upload together like you want.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"