Traffic shaping for upload & download

 > Lets say we want to limit a customer usage to 256kbit total.
That is, you want to limit upload+download.

Whether or not it can be done, I think it's worth pointing out that
this is nonsense.  It makes sense to allocate A+B only if A and B can
be used to replace each other.  Upload and Download are not like that.
They're more like food and air - you need both.  If you have no air it
won't do any good to be given more food.

In your case the analogous thing is that you have a total of 1Mbit up
and 1Mbit down available, two users, and you allocate 1Mbit total to
each.  One decides to attack the other by using 1Mbit upload.  You
decide that's fair, the other (the victim) can just use 1Mbit
download.  Well, maybe he can, but it won't do him any good.

I suggest instead that you allocate upload and download bandwidth
separately.