Traffic shaping for upload & download

Hello,

I have a question about two way traffic, and how to shape it?

Lets say we want to limit a customer usage to 256kbit total.  So on my
firewall I add shaping rules to the client side nice with a ceiling of
256kbit.  Now I also want to limit there upload, so I add the same to the
other nice in the firewall.  But if the customer uploads and downloads at the
same time, they could use up 512kbit of my connection.  How can one handle
this problem.  Is there a way to specify a max for all traphic and then alow
barrowing between upload and download??  Or it this a limitation that I will
have to live with?

--
Regards

Joseph Watson