Re: Rip problems

> I will try to be as complete as possible :)
>
> I have a /24, ie xx.xx.xx.0 - xx.xx.xx.255
> This is split into 4 subnets ie /26
> The xx.xx.xx.0/26 subnet is used on the network that the portmaster
> is plugged into. I also have a second Portmaster on this network, and
> xx.xx.xx.63/26 is asigned to the modem pool split between the portmasters.
> The routing is taken care of by rip on the two portmasters.

*) Are we talking RIPv1 or v2?

> Now on the same xx.xx.xx.0/26 network, I have a linux box.  Behind this
> Linux Box is where I have the xx.xx.xx.128/26 network.
>
> xx.xx.xx.192/26 is not being used now.
>
>                        ,---modems in the xx.xx.xx.64/26 ---,
>                 ,-----'------.                       ,-----'-------.
> - ---T1--CSU/DSU--| portmaster |---xx.xx.xx.0/26-------| portmaster2 |
>                 `------------`        |              `-------------`
>                                ,--------------.
>                                |  Linux Box   |
>                                `--------------`
>                                 xx.xx.xx.128/26
>
> Now, I am monitoring the routing tables in the portmaster connected to the
> T1.  Since it is the gateway this is what matters for incoming traffic.  When
> I start routed on the linuxbox, after 30 seconds it broadcasts its info, and
> the portmaster updated its routes with a xx.xx.xx.128/26: I can then access

*) So you actually see xx.xx.xx.128/26 with the next hop the linux box's
   interface on xx.xx.xx.0/26? This means that you're not running RIPv1.

> clients on the xx.xx.xx.128/26 network behind the linux box.  But after
> 3min's, routed start brodcasting the route to the 128/26 network with a
> metric of 16.

This is the mechanism to announce the unreachability of the route.

*) Are you running RIP among the two portmasters and the linux box?

> And as expected, I can't access the 128/26 network anymore.
> Then it started broadcasting a route to the xx.xx.xx.0/24 network????  Where
> does it get this from??  What I can't figure out is why routed changes what
> it is broadcasting??

Somehow, the linux box receives the route for the whole /24. At this point
it poisons the previous /26 and starts announcing the /24.

> So it is something to do with routed on the linux box!  I monitored all rip
> traffic with tcpdump (a previous post has this info) and nothing else is
> telling it to change the routing.

Your previous posting only showed the RIP packets from the linux box. Can
you capture all the RIP packets?

> The only other rip divices on the network are the portmasters, and they are
> taking care of the xx.xx.xx.64/26 network that the modems are on.

Exactly. I didn't see any routing information exchange between the linux
box and the second portmaster, though.

> Gated talks about routes from the local interface config timing out, and

I don't understand what you mean here.

> there is config options to prevent this.  Maybe this is what I am seeing
> with routed??
>
> I have added a static route to the portmaster until I can figure this out.

Yes. For your setup static route is good enough and possibly the easiest.
But just as an exercise, I'd like to know what the problem is.

Ramin