Re: Rip problems

On Saturday 28 September 2002 11:43 pm, Ramin Alidousti wrote:
> Can you explain what exactly was working in the first few minutes? Did you
> actually see a /26 route on the portmaster? There are a few timers in RIP.
> The 30 sec you mentioned reminds me of the the update advertisement timer
> and the 3 min interval is the holddown timer. What is the topology and
> where does the remaining block (C - /26) reside? You said that you have a
> class C. Is it a class C or a /24? iaw what is the natural class of your
> netblock? Do you also run RIP between the portmaster and that other part?
> This is important because if you do you'll end up having two different
> routes to the same natural class of your netblock which is not what you
> want.
>
> > I think I am going to try gated.
>
> A better choice is zebra if you're already familiar with cisco syntax.
> Does your portmaster support OSPF?
>
> Ramin

I will try to be as complete as possible :)

I have a /24, ie xx.xx.xx.0 - xx.xx.xx.255
This is split into 4 subnets ie /26
The xx.xx.xx.0/26 subnet is used on the network that the portmaster is plugged into.
I also have a second Portmaster on this network, and xx.xx.xx.63/26 is asigned
to the modem pool split between the portmasters.  The routing is taken care of
by rip on the two portmasters.

Now on the same xx.xx.xx.0/26 network, I have a linux box.  Behind this
Linux Box is where I have the xx.xx.xx.128/26 network.

xx.xx.xx.192/26 is not being used now.

                       ,---modems in the xx.xx.xx.64/26 ---,
                ,-----'------.                       ,-----'-------.
- ---T1--CSU/DSU--| portmaster |---xx.xx.xx.0/26-------| portmaster2 |
                `------------`        |              `-------------`
                               ,--------------.
                               |  Linux Box   |
                               `--------------`

                                xx.xx.xx.128/26

Now, I am monitoring the routing tables in the portmaster connected to the
T1.  Since it is the gateway this is what matters for incoming traffic.  When
I start routed on the linuxbox, after 30 seconds it broadcasts its info, and
the portmaster updated its routes with a xx.xx.xx.128/26: I can then access
clients on the xx.xx.xx.128/26 network behind the linux box.  But after
3min's, routed start brodcasting the route to the 128/26 network with a
metric of 16.  And as expected, I can't access the 128/26 network anymore.
Then it started broadcasting a route to the xx.xx.xx.0/24 network????  Where
does it get this from??  What I can't figure out is why routed changes what
it is broadcasting??

So it is something to do with routed on the linux box!  I monitored all rip
traffic with tcpdump (a previous post has this info) and nothing else is
telling it to change the routing.  The only other rip divices on the network
are the portmasters, and they are taking care of the xx.xx.xx.64/26 network
that the modems are on.

Gated talks about routes from the local interface config timing out, and
there is config options to prevent this.  Maybe this is what I am seeing
with routed??

I have added a static route to the portmaster until I can figure this out.

Thanks for the help
- --
Regards

Joseph Watson