Re: [Linux Diffserv] Re: ingress qdisc on kernel 2.2.21 withds8 patch

	Hello,

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, jamal wrote:

> If you look at the old postings on the diffserv mailing list youll see
> about 70% of the questions were related to "my patch failed" etc (people
> patching in the wrong directory etc). Believe it or not a _lot_ of Linux
> users still hate patching (I have matured to accept it) or are not
> very skilled or bothered to learn; they just install connectiva 8 and are
> off to cook: i.e they just want things to work.
> Now unlike MS, we have the code! infact Werner has clearly documented what
> the changes from 2.2->2.4 are in his doc. I know the only time i have
> lately is for breathing (hopefully fresh air at work) and this backporting
> requires abuse of the brain cells more than thinking i.e its mechanical
> and therefore requires concentration/focus;
>
> so if someone could submit a backport patch <hint, hint> i think we would
> put it up the website. I believe we could even push it into the 2.2 next
> release since this stuff is pretty much stable right now.

	At least, we need valid patch with the most needed
fixes. I think, I can walk the both trees and to fix the
obvious bugs that are fixed in 2.4. At first look, the changes
are not too much, so we will be back soon with the most needed
fixes. I can report that the small part of the code I'm using looks
stable enough.

> > > BTW, what is the motivatein behind:
> > > http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/01_ingress-breaks-fw-1.diff
> >
> > 	At least, FW_REDIRECT, not sure for any others
> >

> I am trying to think of some way to probably do this from ingress instead
> since some people actually want that overwrite.

	ok :) But then you have to add ipchains support for tc
in addition to the iptables' one. My wish was to have only the
needed bugfixes :)

> cheers,
> jamal

Regards