Re: [Linux Diffserv] Re: ingress qdisc on kernel 2.2.21 withds8 patch

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Julian Anastasov wrote:

> 	Hello,
>
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, jamal wrote:
>
> > Werner and I did announce (about 2 years ago if i am not mistaken) that
> > we will not be backporting features fixes etc to 2.2 and were hoping to
> > encourage people to upgrade this way.
>
> 	There are still 2.2 users :)

If you look at the old postings on the diffserv mailing list youll see
about 70% of the questions were related to "my patch failed" etc (people
patching in the wrong directory etc). Believe it or not a _lot_ of Linux
users still hate patching (I have matured to accept it) or are not
very skilled or bothered to learn; they just install connectiva 8 and are
off to cook: i.e they just want things to work.
Now unlike MS, we have the code! infact Werner has clearly documented what
the changes from 2.2->2.4 are in his doc. I know the only time i have
lately is for breathing (hopefully fresh air at work) and this backporting
requires abuse of the brain cells more than thinking i.e its mechanical
and therefore requires concentration/focus;

so if someone could submit a backport patch <hint, hint> i think we would
put it up the website. I believe we could even push it into the 2.2 next
release since this stuff is pretty much stable right now.

> > BTW, what is the motivatein behind:
> > http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/01_ingress-breaks-fw-1.diff
>
> 	At least, FW_REDIRECT, not sure for any others

I am trying to think of some way to probably do this from ingress instead
since some people actually want that overwrite.

cheers,
jamal