[slightly offtopic] synchronizing servers

I know this question is probably partly outside the scope of this
mailing list, but when you're using a backup server with automatic
failover, what is the recommended method to ensure that its
configuration is periodically (or automatically) synchronized to the
master server it has to be the backup for?

Are there any tools that help automate this, or am I best off bashing up
a set of shell scripts?

--
Rens Houben                           |    opinions are mine
Resident linux guru and sysadmin      | if my employers have one