Re: VGA passthrough of GTX 660 to KVM guest

Hello Alex,

> Ok, so it's probably X.  You might be able to start your guest from here
> and get VGA through the gtx660 (assuming nothing else is broken with
> radeon VGA arbiter support).  You could also run startx to confirm that
> it's X doing all those VGA arbiter writes.  Thanks,

After I issue startx in runlevel 1, dmesg indeed does show numerous
vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device
messages, but also once this:
vgaarb: device changed decodes:
PCI:0000:01:00.0,olddecodes=io+mem,decodes=none:owns=none

After having booted into runlevel 1 again, not starting X, I have
tried to invoke qemu without any disk and vfio-pci devices, as
described in my first mail, to see whether I could see SeaBIOS output
on the screen I passed through. Both times i tried this now, my
complete host system seemed to have frozen, then suddenly restarted
itself.

When I boot the Windows DomU with pci-assign, the Windows Device
Manager does recognize a second graphics card, but does not label it
as a GFX 660, but a standard VGA device. Also, it says "device could
not be started (Code 10)".

Unfortunately, I haven't noticed the following up until now: Early
during boot, I am shown the message "kvm: no hardware support". After
booting has completed, dmesg | grep -i kvm gives
[    0.949028] kvm: no hardware support
[    0.949156] kvm: Nested Virtualization enabled
[    0.949160] kvm: Nested Paging enabled

I'm a bit confused, since it seems like kvm says AMD-V is not enabled,
but still seems to work. Maybe it's related to the issue at hand?

Please let me know what I can do next to help resolve this.

Thank you very much!