Re: VGA passthrough of GTX 660 to KVM guest

On Wed, 2013-08-28 at 17:12 +0200, Gustav Sorenson wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
> Do you happen to know someone who might be able to judge whether or
> not the radeon driver could be patched to support passthrough? Also,
> could you please point me to the fixes to i915 you mentioned? I think
> I might write to the radeon list to see whether they have ideas how to
> tackle this issue, and I assume it may help them if they know what
> fixed VGA arbitration on Haswell.
>
> Thanks again!

VGA Arbiter:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2013-August/031963.html
i915:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2013-August/032295.html

The changes are very device dependent.  In the case of newer Intel HD
graphics the i915 driver does not need VGA memory access and only
occasionally needs VGA I/O access.  We can therefore disable VGA memory
completely so that it doesn't need to participate in arbitration of
that.  Then the arbiter will disable the I/O bit in the PCI command
register when another device requests VGA.

Perhaps if you can send `dmesg | grep -i vga` from your system we can
see how the arbiter is getting setup.  On an Intel system, a simple test
to disable VGA to IGD is to disable I/O and memory in the PCI command
register:

setpci -s 00:02.0 4.w=0

(of course you really want to read it first to restore it later, you
only need to clear the bottom 2 bits)

Of course even if you get VGA working, you're still likely to get a Code
43 trying to enable the Nvidia driver, but I appreciate any efforts to
help figure that out.  Thanks,

Alex