Re: Running KVM inside a chroot

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 3:29 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/17/2011 06:37 PM, Jorge Lucangeli Obes wrote:

>> > kvm_stat shows insane instruction emulation counts.  Please post a trace
>> > as described in http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Tracing.
>>
>> I've uploaded a bzip'd trace here:
>>
>> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B78o7gMWkuFeMzM3MWM5NmUtYTY3My00ZDkxLTljZmUtYjRhMWRhOWVjZTZh&hl=en_US
>>
>> Almost all the exits show "[FAILED TO PARSE]", would this be a problem?
>>

> Did you 'make install' trace-cmd?  run it from outside the chroot.

Yes:

$ which trace-cmd
/usr/local/bin/trace-cmd

I ran it from outside the chroot

> You're showing be a trace of the boot process, please start the trace
> after the guest is idle (but consuming lots of cpu).

Done. Trace uploaded to:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B78o7gMWkuFeYzUzODViMjUtNzliNy00ODc5LWIwY2YtOGYyMTI3MzMxNjI5&hl=en_US

However, running trace-cmd gives:

$ trace-cmd report trace_report
  error reading header for trace_report
jorgelo@tegan:~/local$ trace-cmd report trace.dat > trace_report2
  cound not load plugin '/usr/local/share/trace-cmd/plugins/plugin_kvm.so'
/usr/local/share/trace-cmd/plugins/plugin_kvm.so: undefined symbol:
ud_translate_att

trace-cmd: No such file or directory
  function ftrace_print_symbols_seq not defined
  failed to read event print fmt for kvm_nested_vmexit_inject
  function ftrace_print_symbols_seq not defined
  failed to read event print fmt for kvm_nested_vmexit
  function ftrace_print_symbols_seq not defined
  failed to read event print fmt for kvm_exit
  bad op token {
  failed to read event print fmt for kvm_emulate_insn

I recompiled both udis86 and trace-cmd, and the error persisted.

> What host kernel version are you running?

$ uname -a
Linux tegan 2.6.38.8 #2 SMP Wed Sep 14 13:43:05 PDT 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Jorge